Monday, July 16, 2012

typical conversation

Me: Hi, I was hoping to change this patient's prescription from Diovan to losartan or irbesartan because his Diovan copay is $150 and his losartan copay would be $7.
Nurse: Well, I don't know why the Diovan would be so expensive
Me: Diovan is a brand name drug and losartan is generic. They are in the same class and he has never tried losartan, so I feel it would be a good option.
Nurse: But Diovan is available as a generic
Me: No it's not
Nurse: Yes it is
Me: No it is not
Nurse: Yes it is.
Me: Diovan is not generic yet
Nurse: Um yeah it is.
Me: No.
Nurse: I could have sworn valsartan was generic Diovan
Me: That's it's generic name, but it is not available as a generic drug
Nurse: Well, I'll just have to talk to the doctor then
Me: (Sends fax to office stating the exact date Diovan will be available as a generic which is not for another several months)
Nurse: (3 days later, faxes me prescription for losartan)

No comments:

Post a Comment